About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Visitor from Australia

My dear friend who I have known for all of his life, Marky, is visiting from Perth.  He has been over for a couple of weeks now and his lovely girlfriend Kat joined him in early January.  We all went out for a curry last night at our local Indian restaurant.  I have heard that Indian food in Oz is very different so Marky was very much looking forward to getting a 'good' curry under his belt!  They didn't disappoint, we had some great food and what made it all the more lovely was that the company was amazing.  This is one of the hard things about emigration, that you have to leave the things familiar to you and the people you love to spend time with.  I have missed him so much since he left in March 09.  It is great to catch up and he has been telling me about what a great time he has been having.  We have slipped back into how we have always been together and it's been great! 



We achieved lots over the weekend in the form of packing/de-cluttering but I am so done with the whole sorting the house out rigmarole.  I would love to spend some time as the 4 of us doing something carefree and frivolous though.  I will feel so much better when this hurdle has passed.


I was very pleased to see Finn & Isla tonight as is always the case when I have been at work all day.  I read The Gruffalo's Child to Isla which she appreciated and talked to me the whole time I read to her!  How very sweet.  Snow is forecast again tonight so it may be a snow and working from home day tomorrow.


I had a phone call and lots of information from a TorFX guy today who provides a service of transferring money from sterling to AU$.  So now I have a whole new set of things to think about to add to our list.  When is the best time, in light of the strength of the $ to £ to transfer money to Australia?  Answers on a postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment