About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Thursday 28 January 2010

Two weeks but no rest for the wicked

Well, I have finished work now for 2 weeks in order to facilitate the shippers (Crown relocations) when they come in next week.  We move to my Mum's this weekend.  Andy asked me last night if I had a list of what needed moving and what we have to leave behind.  I tapped the side of my head in a knowing way and advised that it was "all up here"!  Hmmmm.  I think I know what needs doing.  Well, we will find out on Saturday depending on how the move goes.  I have to say that moving house when you have 2 toddlers is a little daunting.  This will be our first move with Finn & Isla. I am imagining that it will be a little fraught and I will spend a lot of time saying Finn put that down, Finn come here and Finn get off your sister.  Sounds a bit like a normal day actually!

I'm concentrating on firmly looking forward at the moment and not thinking about the actual house sale and the finality of it.  I'm a little sad as I am the third generation of my family to live in Iona, before me it was my Grandfather and Grandma and before that was my Grandfather's parents.  I think my Grandfather is a little sad that the home is going out of the family but he is also quite pragmatic and a very modern thinker considering his advancing years.  He realises that things change and we wish to move on.  This is, however, one of the other decisions that is causing me a little guilt.  I feel that I can almost be at peace with the decision as I feel we are doing what is best for all of us.  Although it still piques a little.

Even though next week is going to be a bit of a slog I still have a couple of nice things planned.  Drinks with a friend, Bronnie, on Wednesday night which should be the calm after the storm as Crown will have left the building.  Bronnie and I have known each other since we were 13 years old, which is quite a long time.  For modesties sake and I won't say how long!  We used to ride our ponies out together every evening and had a whale of a time messing about and galloping around the countryside.  I will be very sad to leave Bronnie behind as we are the best of friends but I hope that she will come out to Sydney for a visit at some stage as her brother lives there aswell.  We have a couple of weekends away planned over the next few months, one in Cheltenham in March visiting the 3rd Musketeer in our group Charms.  Then a weekend in June in Cornwall for some girly chats, rose and good food - just the three of us.  I'm really looking forward to that!


My 2 best girls!  Charms on the left and Bronnie on the right.

I always love Wednesdays because it means that I have finished doing my two long days at work and we can get back to a bit of normality in the house.  Things start to drop off the end a little when I'm at work.  Washing piles up a bit, the children get a little worn out and fractious, the cooking starts to become a bit more speedy and easy rather than nutritious and cooked with care!  Finn & Isla tend to punish me a bit on a Tuesday night for being away so on a Wednesday night I feel better as they will go back to being normal again.  They seem to know on a Wednesday that I am back to stay for a while and always seem happier in themselves for it.  I know Mums who work 5 days a week and I really take my hat off to them as they must be working so hard behind the scenes to make it work.  It's not just the child care it's everything else aswell involved in running a family home.  Washing, ironing, cooking, cleaning etc.  It's bloody hard work and I'm very lucky to only have to do it for two days.

All that chat has made me think of a lovely piccie of the two of them taken in Wagamamas in London when we were there at the beginning of January - they were both very well behaved - I will get Crab girl and boy!




Too cute!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely pic, what little darlings, butter wouldn't melt!! I really am enjoying your blog, its a real insight as to your plans and hopes for the future, I will become a follower!!!
    Linda.

    ReplyDelete