About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Monday 1 February 2010

Baby it's cold inside

Now, I grew up in an 18th century Farmhouse.  I know cold!  I remember not so fondly awakening and having to brace for the exit from a warm bed into a pretty chilly bedroom and the mad rush that ensued to get into some heat inducing layers.  I used to delay getting out of bed, just another 5 minutes....

So, 15 years on staying with Mum I was expecting a slightly warmer abode.  I am now used to central heating so it was a bit of a shock to be in her 'all mod cons' barn conversion conservatory and be quite cold!  Much discussion was then undertaken along the lines of - how the bloody hell can we warm this room up.  Now Mum has been out and bought a lovely cosy carpet to make the slate floor a little more inviting for small hands and feet which is great but when the ambient temperature is 16 degrees it's not a huge help.   I was woken at some unGodly hour as Andy reached his arm around me and it was like being spooned by the abominable snowman.  Andy's arm had ice block qualities.  I took a peek at the baby monitor to see what the damage was and it was reporting 14 degrees, yes that's right a heady 14 degrees!  That's 2 degrees BELOW the legal minimum working temperature.

Anyway, it's all come good now as the heating has been cranked up, the meter is ticking over at a nice frequent speed and The Stewarts are warm.  Hallelujah.

The heating issue aside everything is going swimmingly.  Finn & Isla have settled well.  We have enough space and our own living room downstairs with TV, table, sofa etc so it's all good!  I'm sure it's going to be a lovely 6 months and I'm looking forward to it.

We have exited Iona and it was hard work but it's done now and the shipping company arrive tomorrow which is pretty exciting.  Our home looks more like a house now as we are not there.  It's all of us that make it home.  The adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment