About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Friday 26 February 2010

Travel bug

I really enjoy going away with the children and we have always holidayed with them from the get go so they are really good travellers.  I wanted them to be flexible and adaptable and thankfully they are due to their character and the fact that we have taken them to places from a young age.  I mentioned to my Mum this morning that they really are very fortunate and have already travelled a reasonable amount.

Finn went to Singapore and Australia in April 2008 at 11 months and we took them both to France in May 2009 and America in October 2009.  Soon they will both be going to Singapore for 4 nights before we arrive in Sydney in August.  This isn't counting holidays and weekends away in and around Great Britain.  We have always shared a room as a family of 4 when we go away and surprisingly, so far, it has always worked really well.  The children have a bath as usual and after stories get into bed, we dim the lights and maybe have the bathroom light on and read books and have a drink.  Generally as we have usually had busy busy days they are out like a light.  We have booked a weekend away and a week in Cornwall over the last few days.

The first on the list is 2 nights in London planned for next weekend and I am really looking forward to it.  I by chance found out about the Rainforest Cafe today and have booked a table for the Friday night.  It is a themed family restaurant experience based on the rainforest funnily enough!  I'm sure Finn & Isla will really love it and there will be so much going on for them to look at that it should be relatively easy for us!  We also plan to visit the Eye, Covent Garden (again - but I really love it!) & The National Gallery.  I like to take them to Museums as I feel that it's good for them but we try to keep it brief at the moment as they are quite young and generally have the attention span of a gnat.  I also don't want to bore them as I want them to enjoy this sort of activity for years to come.  I also don't want to spoil the experience for everyone around us by forcing our toddlers on them if they are fractious and impatient!  Anyway, the National Gallery is free so we can go for an hour or so and nothing is lost if our visit is brief.  Aside from our rug rats requirements I really enjoy visiting places like this.

The holiday we booked in June is in Newquay and for a week.  My BFF Bronnie and Charms are going to visit for the Saturday and Sunday night with me and then Andy and the children are coming down on the Monday for the rest of the week.  We are going to The Headland Cottages which are set just back from Fistral beach and are affiliated with the Headland hotel where The Witches was set and we can therefore use all of the hotels facilities.  Pool, sauna etc.  It should be a lovely lovely week and being walking distance from the beach I'm sure we won't stray far from our cottage.

Cute moment of the day:

We went to a Crafty Rascals session today and then into the soft play which Finn and Isla both adore.  Isla had tottered off around the corner of the ball pit and Finn followed after.  A few seconds later they both appeared back into site holding hands and Finn informs me that 'we are holding hands Mummy'.  My heart melted and every moment of sibling jealousy that has been displayed by number one son dissipated into the background and they were surrounded by a rosy pink glow in my eyes.   Ahhhhhh.  So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment