About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Thursday 4 February 2010

Blog fodder

Oh, where do I start, my cup runneth over!  I have to be careful to moderate what I write on this blog as my muse in this case is also an avid follower of my writing.  Which introduces a whole other subject matter: censorship, a topic for another day.  I feel she will only have so much patience for my chortling at her expense.  Anyway, onwards and upwards another blog inspired by the ups and downs from living with my Mum, or in Andy's case 'The Mother-in-Law'!

It is fair to say that my Mum (and her husband!) are pretty stuck in a routine.  Having lived sans children for a considerable while they have been without criticism, moderation and ridicule.  This has led to a pretty strict regime at 'The Old Stables' which we are now victim too.  A classic demonstration of this was witnessed by me this morning as Andy finished his shower in the very flashy newly installed bathroom and felt obligated to use the window cleaner squeegee to remove any water residue from the extensive expanse of glass shower panels which is helpfully left in the shower for just such a job.  I will elaborate.  It hasn't been requested of him but he has felt the need as we are gently reminded of the MIL's fastidiousness!

There is a large list of idiosyncrasies that I could list which would be comprehensive, verbose and pretty amusing but I do feel I may already be pushing my luck.  So I shall end it here and save the MIL's blushes and just drip a few choice other anecdotes over time.  Poor Andy though!

The packers have finished at Iona today and most of our worldly positions are now wrapped to within an inch of their lives in a warehouse in Avonmouth.  I have to say they have done a sterling job and so far I would happily recommend them.  Our house is bare and all that remains is to have a hoover and general clean up tomorrow before completion on Friday.

We left the packers to it this morning and spent a very lovely day at Bristol Zoo en famille in the rain.  We discussed that this time next year we will be doing this at Taronga Zoo, I'm sure that we will be slathering on the sun tan cream but after a wet and grey today that does seem preferable.  I have to say though that we have had a lovely day and it's nice to be getting back to doing things as a family again.  It seems like all we have done for 2 months is pack up our lives in preparation for the big move.  Finn & Isla had a great day looking at the animals and both have been very animated and conversational.  Bristol Zoo is great for little legs as there is plenty to see over a relatively small acreage.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment