About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Saturday 3 July 2010

SAHM

Stay at home Mum: a wife who manages a household and looks after the children while her husband earns the family income.

Which doesn't sound quite as liberal woman's front as perhaps I would like.   However, I realised last night that after 7 months of extracting myself from work I am now at the point where I can class myself as a stay at home Mum. 

When I was first pregnant with Finn I thought that after 9 months I would be striving to get back in to the cut and thrust of my IT job.  Then he arrived and everything changed.  We decided pretty early on that we would have a brother or sister for Finn with a small age gap.  We were very fortunate and Isla arrived when Finn was 17 months.  We decided that part of the plan to emigrate to Australia would facilitate me being able to stay at home with the children until they are at school.  After this time I hope to be able to do something with photography.  I have until Isla is 5 and at school to get some sort of photography qualifications and experience to allow me to get some part time freelance type work to fit around the school hours.

Things have changed so much and I want to be the one taking them to school and picking them up.  Taking them to clubs and just generally being around consistently.

The fact that I have finished work and now fall into the demographic of SAHM shouldn't come as a huge surprise as we have orchestrated our lives over the last 2 years to get to this point.  However, last night at about midnight it suddenly hit me.  We have achieved it and I am so happy to be able to do this for them. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I found you on Mimi's blog (she has just moved to Oz from the USA), and I decided to come over and visit you. I love reading blogs written by people who have moved here to Australia - we like to know what other people think of the Lucky Country!
    I chuckled when I read your comments about missing the sunny days in England, and wondering if you'll have enough good weather in Sydney to take your kids out. Well, arriving in August is not good timing, still in the middle of winter, but winter in Sydney is a far cry from winter in England! I have an English friend who comes over here whenever he can, at any time of the year, just to soak up our sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it....winter feels like it lasts for ages here, it was -10c in January and we had snow! The novelty was quite exciting but then it became a real pain! Mimi writes a lovely blog - I really enjoy hers. 7 weeks and I will be there to see for myself what living there is really like! Thanks for reading. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog, liked reading yours - hope your move Downunder goes well and all the days are sunny - just like on Home and Away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell you, if it isn't sunny when I get there I will want my money back! ;)

    I hear the nights will be cold...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely a wonderful feeling and real blessing to be able to stay at home where you know in your heart you are needed most! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ecoMILF - so true for me. It feels good. x

    ReplyDelete