About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Honeymoon eyes

In late 2004 Andy and I honeymooned for 6 weeks in Australia.  This is when we fell in love with the country.  It was truly an amazing holiday and I long to be able to see some of those places that we visited again.

We arrived in Perth and spent 4 nights or so here and explored my birth place a little, caught a flight to Uluru for 2 nights, watched the sun set over the big red rock.  Then flew on to Cairns and had 5 nights or so, we explored the rainforest and then on to the truly Great Barrier Reef.  Which is the point of this blog.  I will come back to this in a bit!

We then hired a camper van for 2 weeks and drove from Cairns to Sydney stopping and exploring all the amazing East Coast along the way.  We camped (for anybody that knows me that was a bit of a departure from the norm but I loved it and have been bitten!) in amazing coastal sites just a few steps from the beach.  We went to a lovely place just South of Cairns called Mission Beach and I will always hold this place in my heart and I long to see it again.  We were approaching Christmas and there were carols being sung in the shopping centre and we were sat in a restaurant lit by candles only.  I have never been that relaxed since!  Wonderful beach and if Andy and I have the chance to renew our wedding vows then this is where I would like to be.

 Mission Beach

Spent Christmas 2004 on a beach and New Year in Sydney.  Wow, just wow!  Can't wait to spend New Year again there this year.  It was the best celebration of a New Year I have ever seen. 

 One big party!

We did go down to Melbourne as well but didn't get on too well and I strongly suspect we actually missed the city and I am looking forward to visiting again and doing it justice.

I digress.  Massively.  Anyway, the point of this entry was that visit to the Great Barrier Reef.  We took a boat journey from hell on rough, rough seas for 3 hours.  And then we arrived in paradise on the reef.  White coral kay island with the most amazing fish I have ever seen.  Turtles, clown fish, blue tangs, etc.  The water was so warm it was like stepping into a bath.  Heaven.  I tried my hand at snorkelling for the 1st time ever.  I must have been in the water for around 10 minutes when I lost a contact lense.  Can you imagine it???!!!!   The horror.  I could now no longer see the amazing sea scenery around me and the fish became blurry and unclear.  I was so dissapointed.   It was still an amazing day but my eye sight uncorrected was really not good enough to appreciate the beauty of the reef.  To top it off the journey home was equaly stormy and even the crew were ill!



So, it was then that I seriously thought about having laser eye surgery.  I wanted to be able to snorkel, swim and generally be in the water in Australia when we emigrated.  For this to happen with the ease that I wanted the best option was surgery.  So, 4 weeks ago I had it done.  It truly is amazing and one of the best things I have ever done.  I have better eyesight now then I had corrected with contact lenses and absoultely no hassel each morning and night with lenses.

In preparation for the water based activities I intend to partake in in Australia, I have bought goggles and a nose clip.....attractive!  Last time I tried them on Isla wouldn't talk to me for a good 30 minutes after so I have some remedial work to do with her!

I cannot wait to get my eyes in goggles and snorkel off the beach on the Northern beaches in Sydney and be able to see all the fish!

2 comments:

  1. so exciting to have a chance to see it with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete