About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Our ship is sailing

Our container gets packed on Wednesday and sails a week on Saturday to arrive in Sydney 1 day before us and then it should clear customs around 11th September which is when we hope to move into our rental house.  We fly 6 weeks on Wednesday.

Mum told me that she copes with the fact that we are leaving by thinking of us just going on holiday.  An extended holiday but not for the long haul.  I suppose in my head I am not thinking about it permanently or for ever as I can't really until we have lived it for a while.  At the moment it is a little of an unknown quantity as we have only ever holidayed in Australia, for 6 weeks which is a while but still not the same.  I hope that it is all we want it to be for the 4 of us.  Mum then went on to say that she is also so excited for us that we are going off on an adventure.  To try something new and different.  Where there are new experiences and challenges to be had.  I think it really helps that she did it herself in the 70's so can understand a little of what we are trying to achieve.

I don't think I will be able to see it as a move for life until we have created our lives over there again and we are settled.  I feel a little like a nomad at the moment and that isn't going to change for some while yet.

I mentioned to Andy the other night that hopefully in around 9 to 10 weeks time we will have moved into a new home, unpacked all our stuff and will be about to welcome our first visitors and dear friends, Marky & Kat from Perth who we haven't seen since Christmas.  I am so excited about seeing them.  Marky is a dodgy car salesman (hope he reads this one!) and has offered to negotiate a price on a car when we find one we want.  After all he does this for a living so should be pretty good at it!  He even offered to buy one in Perth and drive it over to us, now that is dedication at 3000 miles or so!

I have wobbles of confidence as the day gets closer but on the whole it's all good with us at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. Yea - I remember feeling that way too. I still do honestly, I'm not quite sure when it is really going to hit me that we aren't going back. I'm fine and all - having mostly a good time so far; but it doesn't really feel real yet. I think once we get an apartment it will start feeling very very real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's good to move over with a more flexible attitude as to whether you'll stay forever or not. I think knowing that we might be going home after 3 years made me really make the most of it, and also to be honest did help me through some of the really tough times at the start! The feeling of being settled and perhaps wanting to stay here more permanently then crept up on me in a really nice way, as I didn't ever feel like I was forcing myself to adapt and love Aus. If that makes sense!

    Good luck with your container! We unfortunately didn't have enough stuff for a whole one to ourselves so we couldn't choose the date, they gave us an estimate but it turned up over 2 months late! We were going half mad in an empty, unfurnished house with one suitcase of clothes each for almost 5 months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mimi - I am really looking forward to when we have our own rental I'm sure it will be pretty real for me then too. But I so want my own home again!

    Anna - I hope so. Your way to settle sounds like a good plan. You must of been going out of your mind waiting for all of your things!

    x

    ReplyDelete