About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Saturday 22 May 2010

It's been too long...

..and I feel I am neglecting my blog.  Things worthy of note:

  • I have 8 working days left at work for a company who I joined at 17 and have been with for 15 years.  I used to love, love, love going to work.  Two things have changed that.  Having Finn & Isla, who I would much rather spend my time with in their formative years.  Also, it's not the place it once was.  Things have changed for the worse at a place where I felt we were once making a difference with innovation, effort, ideas and imagination.  Now we are making the wheels turn for an organisation who does not appreciate the effort it takes to make that happen or the people involved.  When I leave I will be sad for the place that was 4 years or so ago.  I will also miss some of the people who I have known for a long time now.
  • I have a very exciting party planned for Finn tomorrow at our house to celebrate him turning 3.  Finn's birthday is actually next week but we are going to London on the train and so his party is tomorrow and the weather forecast is great!  I am hugely relieved as the birthday plans are all based on the sun shining.  Andy has cut the grass to within an inch of its life.  I have made 2 teepee's and put up 2 tents on the lawn to fill with a blanket and toys for some den fun!  Trampoline and water table poised and ready for action.  A huge brand new New Holland tractor is lined up and ready to be parked in the field for the children to climb all over and explore.  Bella, the pony is going to be kept in on the yard for tiny hands to proffer carrots at her.  BBQ food all ready to go.  Lengths of bunting made to string across the patio.  Bubble machine stocked with batteries and liquid.  Bucket of ice and beer ready on standby!  It's going to be a good, good day tomorrow.
  • Andy has studied ferociously for 18 months now and yesterday it came to fruition as he was successful in getting his MCITP:EA (using last years' MCSE 2003 as a jumping off point).  Much kudos for all the studying and hard work.  I am so, so proud and pleased for him.  He said he was going to do it and he has.
  • Finn is thriving on independence at the moment.  He revels in the discovery that he can do something by himself.  At the moment he loves getting into the car and then his car seat on his own!  He is so pleased when he tells me his latest conquest.  However, he still fights me and wants me to put on his shoes! Finn & I talk about moving to Australia quite often.  He is really looking forward to a new house, our 'tainer arriving and getting all his toys!  I taught him today that we are going via Singapore and to hear his little voice pipe up that we are going there on a plane makes me melt.  I love that he is starting to get a concept of the world around him.  He remembers America last year and it is great to hear him talk about it.
  • Isla is the epitome of gorgeous, girly, chubby sweetness.  What a girl she is.  She totally embraces hair clips, bracelets, hair bands and anything 'pretty' as she puts it.  I love it.  On a Friday, Finn goes to nursery and Isla & I shop.  What fun we have.  Isla's thing at the moment is to put whichever her chosen toy at the time into the nearest water container.  Be that the bath, toilet or even a mucky old water trough on the farm, she cares not.  Lovely....!
  • I miss having our own home.  I miss my things.  I miss being able to potter around in our own space and take a whim to make or bake something.  I miss baking my own bread (our bread maker is in the container).  I miss having a study and being organised with our infrastructure in general.  I miss being the master of the kitchen!  I love having company and family around all of the time.  I love the greenness and countryside that we live in now.  I love the farm.  I love the garden and the children in shorts and t-shirts.  I love the sun and the warmth.

2 comments:

  1. Well, some good and some bad :) Your kids sound great & good on you hubby for passing his test!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mimi - they are all fab! x

    ReplyDelete