About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Easter weekend

A 4 day weekend is waiting to welcome the family Stewart in this Easter and we have started to plan what we are going to get up to.

There was an incident between Andy and I before we had Finn & Isla which involved a previous Easter weekend.  Andy dutifully reminds me each year of the horror we experienced visiting Cheddar probably during the Easter of 2002/3.  I can't be quite sure of the year as I believe the trauma of the experience has caused me to blank from my memory the details.  We awoke on the Easter Monday and I suggested on a whim that we visit Cheddar for a mooch around, coffee and lunch maybe, Andy was not keen from the start!  That was my first mistake.  This small Somerset village, the origin of Cheddar cheese, was besieged by every man and his dog who had also decided what a splendid idea this would be.  It took around 45 minutes to drive to Cheddar from home so I was reluctant to admit defeat and turn around and go home when we couldn't find a parking space.  So we pushed on and did a full journey up and down the steep gorge trying to find a space to shoe horn our large Freelander into.  We ended up plumping for a car park and stalking the next pedestrian unfortunate enough to look like a car owner.  This did work and in the end we found a space.  Surprisingly for an English Bank Holiday it was quite a nice warm sunny day so we took to the pavements and ambled into the village.  Along with around 1500 other people.  Cheddar is quite a sleepy, quaint little village and there were so many people there that we ended up walking on the road and taking our chances with the cars.  We gave it about an hour before we admitted defeat and headed home swearing to never to anything so stupid ever again.  So this Easter Saturday we have decided to go to Wells, another quaint Somerset spot.  We will see how that works out!

We are going out on Thursday night so I imagine that Friday will be a bit of a lounge around with the children and play around on the farm kind of day.  We have invited my Mum, step Dad and Grandfather out for Sunday lunch so that's 3 days taken care of which leaves Monday.  We will do a couple of easter egg hunts.  Hidden chocolate is sure to motivate Finn!  Maybe Andy & I will go out one night as Mum will be here to babysit for us.  The perks of living en famille for a bit!

I have started to create our own family Stewart traditions for Finn & Isla.  Ones that I hope will stay with our family as they grow older and ones which will provoke fond memories of a magical childhood.  With this in mind I wanted to buy some hollow card eggs to fill with brightly wrapped foil chocolate eggs.  I have found two that are perfect and I remember having something similar when I was a child.  See:


How cute.

I am really looking forward to the weekend and maybe next year we can give the Royal Easter Show a go!

Here are a few piccies of us during February and March.


Finn & Isla in their "racing car", proving a cardboard box can provide hours of fun!


Us in happy times on the London Eye just before 'that poo incident'!
Finn & Isla on the London Eye also in happy times!


Finn & Andy on the Lions in Trafalgar Square - I wanted this picture as there is one of me at a similar age doing the same thing!


My stylish gorgeous girl is growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment