About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Friday 26 March 2010

Studious husband and other things

I sit here at the kitchen table in admiration of Andy who is trudging through another stack of paper copy study manuals for his next Microsoft Exam.  The current folder of joy is around 5 inches thick with duplexed technical geekery.  Around every other night for the last 7 weeks he has flexed his muscles and raised the A4 lever arch of joy onto his lap and waded through the next chapter.  Its a good job we don't have a buzzing social life (we have children and are living with my Mum!) as many nights Andy continues on his certification path.  What a trooper.  Andy, I salute you.  I just hope all this bloody hard work pays off when he is looking for an employer on the other side of the globe and he can earn the big $$$$.  After all, I have ladies to meet and there is lunch to be had.

Holiday cramming continues before we depart these shores and we now have 4 nights in Devon with one of the best girls, her beau and Tom, her son.  We are also going to go away with my Mum to Centre Parcs in June, 2 days after we return from the week in Cornwall.  Holiday me right up!  I reflect once again that before our emigration plan really kicked in we didn't do this sort of thing very much and now I am having trouble identifying weeks to cram little jaunts away in!  Ironic.
I have started to look for temporary accommodation in Sydney for our first 3 weeks over the last few days.  I have e-mailed one company about some 2 bed apartments in Manly today which look fab but there are no prices.  Alarm bells should probably be ringing but I figure it's worth a punt.  They are just back from the beach and not far from the cafes and eateries which would be handy.  I also think it would be a good idea to trial somewhere in the thick of it so we can really see what the commuter traffic is like.  I have heard it is pretty bad so I'm quite keen for us to deal with it from the get go so that we can decide if it would be worth it for the location.

I continue to debate the size of property over location topic.  Option 1:  Do we live 45 minutes from the beach and city but have a good size house and maybe a pool?  Option 2: Or do we go for a bijou townhouse or even a spacious apartment that we can walk to the beach and be in the hub of Sydney life?  I really don't know and I swing from one option to the other. 
Option 1

Option 2

Maybe I will only know when we get there and I can see the options rather than internet property searches.  Whatever we choose it's going to be pretty different to our life at the moment.  Which I figure is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to read your plans for emigration as we went through the same a few years ago!
    We decided on the city apartment when we moved to Vancouver. Since then we moved to the mountains to a 5 bedroom house. We don't regret living in the apartment, but the house is soooo much nicer.
    Have you thought about buying a house and an apartment and renting out the apartment for an investment? I imagine property is cheaper in Oz than the UK and could be an option, like we have done in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete