About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Things I have learnt so far

Bugs/Creepy crawlies/spiders

I have been unfortunate to have a couple of incidents with the existing residents.  I have to say I am a little freaked out.  Still. 

The first shall go by the code name of Operation Huntsman.  Andy and I were reclining on the sofa one evening enjoying an episode of the American Office (love it) and darkness had drawn in.  An unassuming moth cannoned into the patio doors right in front of us in the way only moths can.  All of a sudden there was a flash of movement and a Huntsman spider as big has my open hand leapt across the glass and grabbed the moth.  Andy and I jumped.  Significantly!  The spider proceeded to sit there and tuck in.  Gross.  Really, really gross.  Andy went outside and shone the torch on it so that we could get a good look and it didn’t budge.  Huge, hairy, fat, bulbous eyed Huntsman.  Yuck.

The second shall be called Spider assault.  We had a few problems with our water tank so had a maintenance guy here.  There was a small gap between him, the hot water tank and the washing line which I walked through and completely and utterly didn’t see the spiders web spanning the gap or in fact the huge residing spider.  Said web and spider are deposited on my shoulder.  I feel the unmistakable stick of cob web and whip my head around to inspect.  Only to come eyeball to eyeball with the spider now sitting on my blinkin’ shoulder.  I am not afraid to admit that I screamed.  Loudly and right next to the maintenance guy who was mildly concerned and amused at the same time.  I commenced the funny spider dance and ran around through the towels hanging on the line to unseat my unwelcome friend.  Thankfully this worked and he was nowhere to be found.  If I hadn’t been so scared I may have been embarrassed at my hysterical outburst.  This one was about the size of a tennis ball including legs but was fat and hairy which magnifies the repulsiveness of spiders in my view.  Again.  Yuck

My third significant incident was with and small skink like lizard in our laundry room.  The first I knew of his presence was a frantic writhing lizard tail on the floor.  I thought initially that I had managed to chop it off in the door but have since learnt that the whole tail writhing things is their way of getting away from any predators.  Anyway, there is the tail flapping around and a little tailless lizard over by the skirting.  The horror.  I swept the tail up with a dustpan while it continued have a mind of its own.  Next, out went the lizard.  Shudder.

All of this within a couple of weeks.  I have had my fair share of the wildlife so far I think.

Separation anxiety and familiarity

Nothing can prepare you for that feeling of not having your support network around you.  People who have known you for years and know where you have come from.  We are making friends but nothing prepares you for that feeling of newness you have with everyone you talk to.  I feel myself drawn to fellow British Expats.  I think it’s because they obviously know the country I have lived in for the last 30 years and we immediately have that common ground and understand the challenges of being an expat.  I have always wondered why in the UK you have groups of nationalities of people living in their own little communities.  I understand now.

Internet shopping

Browsing the World Wide Web for purchases is shockingly appalling here.  I knew it wasn’t going to be very good but come on.  The shops that have moved into the 21st century and gone online have very limited stock and are completely uncompetitive.  It really is terrible. 

It is so easy in the UK.  Too easy.  But I know which one I prefer.  There is no Amazon in Australia.  Please come here Amazon!

I read something awful in the paper the other day.  Big stores like Harvey Norman et al were lobbying the government to get the $1000 tax free import limit lowered.  This is because they say that Aussies were internet shopping outside of Australia and getting stuff shipped in because it is cheaper.  Rather than get competitive, move with the times, up their game, lower their profit margins, be less lazy.  Call it what you will.  They would rather handcuff customers.  Come on guys.  Move with the times.

Sunshine and water

When the sun shines and it is a stinking hot day there is nothing better than getting in the pool and cooling off.  We are so lucky to have a pool.  It is so nice.  I have already become so much more confident in the water.  I was never good out of my depth and always used to have a bubble of panic in my tummy.  After a few hours messing about, learning to dive I feel so much better and can confidently swim out of my depth and really enjoy it!  Having your own pool means being able to mess around without looking like an idiot in front of many, many strangers.  So, I can now dive.  I am so very chuffed. 

We are having some lovely hot days that demand sun cream, hats and ice lollies but then a cooler, wet, cloudy day will sneak up on us and catch me unawares and generally I won't be dressed appropriately for the weather.  I will be glad when things even out and summer starts in earnest.  1st day of summer is tomorrow so bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Goodness I remember the first time I accidentally de-tailed a lizard. I was traumatised and spent about 4 hours googling it to reassure myself that I hadn't committed a terrible act of animal cruelty and that it would grow back. I left the tail on the floor for ages because it creeped me out so much, went to pick it up about 6 weeks later and it had gone rock hard and straight, like a little pencil. Creepiest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete