About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Bubble

I feel a little like I am in a bubble at the moment.  I'm used to knowing how everything works.  How a government functions, the council operates, Police, hospitals, dentists etc....  What is going on in a country through the news, who famous and recognisable people are.  You get my drift.  Whereas now I feel a little lost in that I haven't got a grip on any of the stuff above.  I know it's only a matter of time but I remain a little in the dark!

I read the Sydney Morning Herald website most days which is starting to familiarise me.  I also read the BBC website for the British news and tend to look at the Asia Pacific region on there too.

We don't watch any Australian television (we have so far failed to get our freeview box to work) and rely on and enjoy acquired British and American programs like Spooks, Grand Designs, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters etc.  Really this suits us as a) we don't have much free time to watch television and b) we like those programs anyway.  However, this also doesn't really help the Australian way of life education as we don't watch the news or any other topical programs.  We always know of the major things occurring here and around the World but none of the 'fluff'!

Honestly, I think one of the biggest stars of Oz could walk past me on the street and I would happily carry on oblivious while leaving a startled, unrecognised and offended star in my wake!

The upside is that Finn & Isla are not victim to any advertising dross which invades peoples lives on a daily basis.  And neither are we!  This does help to keep them pretty innocent and untainted by advertising and the media.  It also means that we sit down and watch a movie together which is fab.  We all watched Wall-e the other night and all really enjoyed it.

Hmmmmm, not many conclusions to draw here but the pondering's of a new immigrant....

No comments:

Post a Comment