About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Friday 12 November 2010

Summer is on its way

The temperature has cranked up a notch and we are coping well so far.  I approach summer with a little trepidation as although we have been here during December and January when it is pretty hot, we are not on holiday now!

The thermostat in the car reported 32 degrees pretty consistently today and I have spent the day with Isla at a shopping mall making a huge dent in the Christmas shopping.  What a relief to have around 75% done by early November.  Finn has been at pre-school so it is ideal to shop when I only have 1 littly with me!  Isla and I were ladies that lunched.

I picked Finn up a little early as it was scorching hot and I thought the best and most fun we could all be having would be at home in the pool!  We have the paddling pool on the deck and if I leave it uncovered then it gets to a tepid bath temperature which is just lovely.  As the children walked through the door they were pulling off their t-shirts in anticipation of a good cool down.  I have a convoluted system of parasols, pegs and sheets to shade the pool completely when they are in it.  I then profered a toe in the big pool and found it was in fact warm enough for a dip that wouldn't necesitate sharp intakes of breath!  So I took the children in one at a time to practice their swimming.  Back to the paddling pool for more playing with toys and I joined them.  The deck behind our house where the paddling pool is juts out over the garden and looks into the bush behind our house.  Lying in the paddling pool with Finn & Isla, lounging over the edge, watching the parrots I could almost believe I was in an infinity pool - we have a poor man's infinity pool!

Andy came home and after a 30 minute commute in his leathers he was a little sweaty......  I told Finn to suggest Daddy jumps in the pool.  Finn pads in and I hear him tell Andy to strip and jump in the pool!  Chuckle.  So he did.  A few refreshing laps and he tried his hand at diving in.  Never been his forte apparently.  There is some room for improvement!  ;)  He has all summer to up his game though....

I reflected on this couple of hours that we all had and smiled.  What a wonderful opportunity for Finn & Isla.  What great fun.
 
Pool days

1 comment:

  1. It makes me shiver to see Finn & Isla in the paddling pool! It's getting quite wintery here!
    M x

    ReplyDelete