About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Thursday 28 October 2010

Next delivery & an unwelcome visitor

Oh how the sun is shining on me this evening.  Culture shock is here and everything familiar that I have ever known seems to have gone.  I find the clothes, shoes etc here so expensive and if you buy middle of the road I feel the quality is poor.

So happy days when I discovered this lovely bit of information earlier:


For the amazing deal of US $7.50 they will deliver how ever much you want right to your door.  Of course we are kind of out on our seasons so I need to plan a little in advance and order a few months before the Oz winter starts etc.....  A very small price to pay!

I have just looked at the little girls things and they are beautiful.  Have my eye on a pair of winter boots for me too!

The bad news is that I have a visitor staying with me at the moment who is taking the edge off things a little.  This visitor goes by the name of Mr Homesickness.  He showed up around a week and a 1/2 ago in earnest and has been making almost daily visits ever since.  Monday was particularly bad.  I miss things that I didn't think I would.  I have read that as an expat it can take 2 years to really settle.  Two years feels like an awfully long time at the moment.  Sigh.  I took a trip to Ikea last week just to have that feeling of familiarity in my bones, thankfully Ikea seems to be the same around the globe!

The news that Next are delivering to me now makes me feel a little better.  I hope he buggers off soon!

x

6 comments:

  1. i know it so expensive here. people warn you before you come, but it doesn't really sink in until your hear and shopping. the quality is awful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really very pricey for things that would be cheap in the UK. Gotta love international internet shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you are feeling homesick:( I am going to get you Kim's email so you two can hook up and have a playdate with the kids.

    Also, let me know if you need anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mimi - it comes and goes in waves. Long weekend for us and Isla's birthday so all good, but it does creep up on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Mr. Homesickness buggers off soon. He is no fun to have around.

    And, It does not matter how long I live here (going on 10 years now), I am still appalled at the prices here comparatively to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a funny one Cajun! A good weekend helps but those few days were pretty tricky. :)

    ReplyDelete