About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Friday 6 May 2011

The language barrier

Finn:  "Mummy, I would like some chipstocks."
Me:  "Some what?"
Finn: "Some chipstocks....."
Me:  "Hmmmmmm....," (desperately thinking what he could mean...what have we spoken about during the day...any clues...?  anything....?)  "I'm not sure what you mean Finn."
Finn:  "CHIPSTOCKS Mummy..."(getting cross now at me for not understanding plain English as he would see it)
Me:  Andy and I exchange a worried glance as we have no clue what he is talking about.  "What would you do with chipstocks Finn?" I ask in a non inflammatory way.
Finn: "Eat noodles" he replies in a tone which infers what cretins he thinks we are.
Me & Andy in Unison: "Aaaaaahhhhhhh, chopsticks Finn."
Finn: "Yes chopsticks." Said in a manner that we know means, yes that is what I said.

Laugh and laugh.  For days as we remembered that little conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment