About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Thursday 19 May 2011

The accent gives it away.

I was in a conversation with a lovely, friendly guy in the Apple store nearby today and the inevitable question/statement was posed.  So, you're from the UK says Apple guy.  Yes I reply although some of my Britishness has already been knocked off me in these short 9 months.  I think I already sound a little Aussie in the way I talk, especially to other Australians.  I think you just get on better if you talk like them.  I don't mean that I suddenly sound like I am from the outback but I do use the words that they use.  For example:
  • I will greet people with "Hey, how you going?" 
  • I will often refer to something as 'Awesome'
  • "no worries" is a staple
  • That unmistakable questioning tone when finishing a sentence.
It's just something I do without much thought and I do find myself being more direct in my approach to life which is quite refreshing.

So, back to the Apple Guy.  Our conversation took it's usual course.  How long have I been in Oz, why did I come, where in the UK am I from, how do I like Australia and I predictably asked him had he been to the UK, which part (always London!) etc, etc.  It often comes out that I was born in Perth as that was quite a big factor in the ease of our path to Australia.  So he says, "oh, so you're Australian then".  It took me back a little.

It's true really.  I was born in Australia.  I live in Australia.  But I see myself as British.  I speak like them, grew up with them and it is the most familiar place in the world for me still.  I wonder if I will feel Australian at some point.  It was an interesting point from this Apple guy and has made me ponder a little really.  I have no answers but food for thought.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy in Perth in February.  When it came out in conversation that I was born in Perth he said that I had instantly gone up in his estimations and indicated with his hand raising from the floor to the ceiling.  I said "What's that all about?!?!" and we laughed etc but there is this deep rooted patriotism here.  No comment either way really, just an observation.

2 comments: