About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Monday 2 August 2010

M.I.A

That's us.  Missing in action.  We have been on holiday.  Again.  I say holiday when really I mean away from home doing what we normally do with 2 small children and not remotely relaxing or holiday like!  I'm not complaining.  I love, love, love travelling and exploring with Finn & Isla however holidays just become very different.

We went away with one of the best girls and her son.  Cottage, 4 bedrooms (totally required!) and a hot tub on the veranda that the children worshipped each day.  Finn & Isla are really much more confident in the water now after we spent all that time in the pool in Centre Parcs and I'm really pleased.  Nippers here we come!

We visited the Eden Project.  Twice.  It was really good as they have so much on for the children during the holidays.  Padstow, speed boat trip and Rick Steins Fish & Chips = fun & yum!

All in all very good.  Came home for a rest though.

We are off again this weeked to the Edinburgh Tattoo and have tickets for Charlie & Lola and Stick Man at the Fringe.  1 hour flight and a great hotel in an amazing location which we have stayed in before.  All good!

Finn & Isla are so funny at the moment.  They have recently started talking to each other and not using me as a mediator and Finn can ask Isla something and she will respond to him.  It is so very cute!  

I watch them start to interact and my heart skips a beat and I gulp when I realise how very lucky we are to have such lovely well rounded children.  Don't get me wrong - they have their moments.  They can be naughty, mischevious and disobedient etc...but they are so amazing!  I am doing my best to make them polite, observant, interesting, interested and embracing children.  It's a pleasure to watch them grow.  They change each day and I desperately want to slow it down.  ...or have a another one.....!  Did I say that out loud?

With this in mind I have started looking at schools again this weekend as I feel it is important for them both to have some structure and learning in their lives when we arrive.  I have found a Steiner School which looks really lovely and there is an open day in September on a Sunday.  We will be in Sydney and we are free that weekend so we are going to go and take a look! 

Finn left his nursery the week before last as they broke up for the Summer holidays.  It was such an amazing start for him and did wonders for his confidence.  I hope we can find them somewhere just as lovely.  

I haven't posted any pictures for ages and I really must but I have 3500 pics on my camera to sort through and do a little post processing before they are ready.  We had a little hiccup with the compact flash card (and nearly lost them all) but thankfully Andy managed to get them off and on to the laptop.  I have such a problem with storage at the moment (our container with our main computer equipment is at sea) that I had been leaving my pictures on the card in the camera.  That will teach me!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah - glad you liked the blog - we just had a fabulous ten days in sydney with H and are in Canberra now - a little jealous of you lot all moving down here when we are moving North to Scotland! Are you here yet? love to you and the babies of course, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, glad you had fun with Howard, great pic in front of the Opera House! We fly out in 10 days! I went to Canberra with Bronnie in 2002, loved the museums, bet it's cold there at the moment! I heard about Scotland from your Mum - we have just come back from Edinburgh tonight after visiting the Tattoo. Lovely place in the World to live, we have holidayed in and around Inverness and it's so beautiful. Enjoy you Australia tour. Will keep reading the blog. Take care. S

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you and your upcoming adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristi - exciting and nervous times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete