About us

We are a family of four. Sarah, Andy, Finn & Isla and we are on the emigration path to Sydney, Australia from Somerset, England. We arrived on Tuesday 24th August 2010 and this is our story.

Friday 29 July 2011

Hairdresser

So, I am sat in the hairdressers last night and being forced into conversation by the hair stylist who still has not learnt that I do not want to talk. When having my hair done I relish the opportunity to relax, read a magazine and have a complete cup of coffee in peace. I would prefer not to engage in what is mostly inane and surface level conversation. Call me grumpy but I see this as my chance for a little me time.

Anyway, let's call her Sheila, was banging on about anything under the sun while I do my best to shut the conversation down. Subtlety was not working and so obviously my grunts and 'really's' were all that were required. So onwards she went and into the marriage of the Prince of Monaco and 'that poor girl'. She sweepingly cannoned on with regard to the 2 and possibly 3 children he has fathered out of marriage, she meets my eye in the mirror and says 'one of the mothers was even black!'. Really. Truly. Honestly this is what she said like it is the most natural thing in the world to drop such a racist comment and then continue in the vein of how beautiful the brides dress was. For a moment I wondered if I had misheard her. Sadly not.

I have never heard such prejudice used in such a natural and unassuming way. She saw and sees nothing wrong in this statement. I do not understand how people can think mixed cultural and ethnic marriages or relationships are wrong. But some people do and yesterday I was reminded of this fact. Happily I rarely experience opinions like this but that once in a while makes it quite shocking.

I didn't challenge her words and I reflect maybe I should. Would it do any good? Probably not but if everyone thought like that then beliefs and opinions would never be challenged. Debate is good I think but maybe the hairdressers is not the forum for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment